Double or Triple Duty Pot Roast
Pot roast is way underrated in my opinion. This recipe takes an relatively affordable chunk of meat that takes almost no time to throw together to end up with a velvety tender dinner that can be savored this meal and for several more later.
Cook Time 8 hours
Total Time 8 hours
Servings 4 people
- 1 chuck roast 4-6 lb. boneless or bone-in
- 2 cups pureed tomato and/or broth I love using my frozen pureed tomatoes from my summer bounty
- 1 onion large - sliced into rings
- 2 tbsp mineral rich salt I love Himalayan salt
- 8 cloves garlic or more!
- 1 tbsp ground black pepper
- optional carrots throw in last 45 minutes
- optional parsnips throw in last 45 minutes
- optional mushrooms throw in last 45 minutes
- optional zucchini throw in last 45 minutes
Place sliced onions on bottom of slow cooker.
Add the pot roast on top of the onions. Add spices, liquid, garlic around the meat.
Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until tender. Serve the meat with the sauce over the top.
Slightly More Work Option
- Sauté onions and salt/pepper with one to two tablespoons of fat (lard, ghee, tallow, or coconut oil) until soft and slightly caramelized.
- Add chopped garlic for about 30 seconds more.
- Add this to the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Add the pot roast on top of the mixture. Add broth/puree.
- Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until tender. Serve the meat with the sauce over the top.